By: Karen Waddell | VP of List Services, eTargetMedia
What’s the Point?
On average you only have six to ten words to entice a subscriber to open your email. Beyond 10 words and the subject line may get truncated; even worse your email may
get relegated to the trash folder unopened without the subscriber ever seeing your message. Your subject line needs to tell the subscriber exactly why they should open the email. Get to the point, briefly! Why are you sending an email? The subject line should be a teaser of what’s in the email message. The subject line is the primary reason someone will either open or delete your email. Be descriptive. Be clear. Be relevant!
Subject Line Musts:
• Use Buzzwords: Exciting, Wonderful, Upgrade, Now, Go, Happy.
• Keep it Simple. Subject lines should be 45 characters or less. Definitely not more than 60 characters.
• Ask Questions. Spark the subscriber’s interest and get them engaged with your offer.
• Use #Hashtags: If the audience is familiar with your brand, #’s will increase interaction with the email
and your social marketing.
What to Avoid:
• Words written in all CAPS.
• Excessive Punctuation!!! Avoid characters such as !, $, %
• Company Name: Don’t waste precious subject line space when your company name already displays
in the “From Line”.
• SPAM Trigger Words: Free, Cheap, Save, Guarantee, Affordable, Congrats, and Deals.
• Emoji’s & Emoticons: Many email clients do not support special characters and special characters may not render.
Contact eTargetMedia to find out how we can help you target
your email campaigns to maximize your campaign results.